So what do ‘offshore betting’ and ‘offshore bookmakers’ refer to? Offshore betting refers to sportsbooks that are registered in countries outside the United States, allowing them to legally offer their services to American citizens. These sportsbooks are typically based in Caribbean nations, with Antigua and Barbuda being a preferred choice for many top-rated offshore operators, such as MyBookie and XBET.
Obtaining a license to operate as an offshore sportsbook in the Caribbean is a rigorous process that requires compliance with the country’s gambling laws. These laws are focused on ensuring fair play and the security of players, which means that a licensed offshore sportsbook is obligated by law to conduct its business transparently and honestly, ultimately benefiting the players.
Despite there being hundreds of offshore sportsbooks available, it can be challenging to select the right one. If you’re struggling to find a reputable offshore sportsbook to place your bets, I can help. As an expert in the field, I have personally selected and recommend some of the best offshore betting sites available to US players. These sites have been thoroughly researched and vetted to ensure they are safe, reliable, and offer competitive odds. See our handpicked list of top offshore bookmakers below.
- Friendly odds
- User-Friendly Interface
- Promotions and bonuses with a generous offering
- High Rollover Requirements
- Limited Payment Options
- USA friendly
- Crypto friendly
- Smooth interface
- Painless sign-up process
- Country restrictions
- No live streaming
- Cryptocurrency friendly
- Rec-friendly sportsbook lines
- Welcome bonuses are generous
- No live streaming for sport
- No mobile app
- Lightning fast withdrawals
- Slick user experience
- Impressive live betting
- Poker, Casino
- Overround 4.97%
- Not many bonuses
- Sharp odds
- In business since 1994
- Crypto friendly
- Competitive odds and lines (rare!)
- Huge bonuses
- Live streaming options limited
- Bonus conditions are strict
- Honest reputation
- US Friendly
- Track record
- High betting limits
- Professionals welcome
- User interface needs refreshing
- Selection of casino games below average
- Payouts sometimes slow
- Sharpish lines
There might be many names on our compiled list, but keep in mind that if we haven’t listed the offshore bookmaker here and you are considering to join it, you should rather avoid it. Yes, top offshore bookmakers spend millions of dollars on advertising all over the different media outlets, but that does not always mean all these sportsbooks are great place for placing bets on sports.
What is the legality of offshore sports betting?
Offshore sportsbooks are often licensed to accept players from the United States, without the need to differentiate between the states from which their American players originate. However, players should exercise caution, as while the US Supreme Court has legalized sports betting at the federal level, individual states still retain the right to determine its legality.
Under current gambling law, each state within the US is empowered to decide whether to permit sports betting within its borders. Thus, individuals residing in states where sports betting is prohibited are precluded from engaging in this activity at any sportsbook, regardless of its location.
While some operators may allow players from restricted states to create an account, the risks associated with placing bets at offshore sportsbooks are significant. Doing so can result in legal consequences and penalties, so players are advised to exercise prudence when engaging in sports betting activities.
Difference between Offshore bookmakers and Legal US bookmakers
In contrast to US-based online bookmakers, offshore betting operators lack licenses issued by US gaming authorities. This means that if any issues arise, your country cannot provide assistance. In the event that an offshore bookmakers withholds payouts, the US government is unable to intervene.
To avoid the risk of losing your winnings due to payout issues, it is advisable to only use sportsbooks with a proven track record for timely and reliable payouts. This underscores the importance of choosing trustworthy offshore sportsbooks.
To mitigate risks, it is recommended to use only the most reputable bookmakers available, such as those mentioned in this article. By doing so, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable sports betting experience.
Depositing funds to Offshore Sportsbooks
Depositing and withdrawing money offshore for sports betting purposes can be a straightforward process with a variety of payment options available to choose from. Popular payment methods include credit cards, debit cards, e-wallets, bank transfers, and cryptocurrency. These methods are generally flexible, quick, and secure, and are typically available for use with reputable offshore sportsbooks such as Bovada, BetOnline, and MyBookie.
When registering an account with an offshore sportsbook, it is always advisable to review the available payment options to ensure that you are comfortable with them. In addition, it is important to note that processing times for deposits are generally instant, with minimum deposits starting at $10 or $20 and the average limit per deposit being $2,000.
Withdrawing funds from Offshore Bookmakers
In contrast, withdrawals from offshore sportsbooks can be more complex and often require a greater degree of trust and patience. Processing times for withdrawals can range from 24 hours to several business days, depending on the sportsbook and the payment method used. However, by choosing reputable brands such as BetUS or Sportsbetting.ag and ensuring that you only withdraw from authorized websites, you can minimize the risk of any issues arising.
It’s worth noting that most offshore sportsbooks allow withdrawals of up to $2,000 per transaction, and that using cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin as a payout option can often be the quickest way to move your money around. While there may be longer processing times for withdrawals, choosing trustworthy brands and using reputable payment methods can help ensure a smooth and secure offshore sports betting experience.
Common bonuses / promotions on offshore betting websites
This guide can be a valuable resource for those who are keen on availing themselves of freebies. The sports betting industry is highly competitive, and online sportsbooks are in a constant struggle to attract and retain customers. Consequently, they offer a plethora of promotions, bonuses, and free items to entice potential customers and cultivate long-term relationships.
The purpose of this guide is to outline the various types of promotions, explain how they function, and offer advice on how to stay up-to-date with the latest promotions and take advantage of all that is available. By familiarizing yourself with these promotions and learning how to use them to your advantage, you can optimize your profits and make the most of your online sports betting experience.
- Welcome Bonuses / Sign-Up Bonuses – Online offshore sportsbook sites place great significance on sign-up bonuses, also known as welcome bonuses. The leading offshore sports betting platforms offer a diverse range of welcome bonuses to their new customers, providing them with a wide selection to choose from. These sign-up bonuses may take various forms, with the free bet offer being one of the most popular incentives offered by offshore bookmakers.
- Rebate Bonus – A rebate bonus is a type of bonus that provides players with a percentage of their losses back in the form of a rebate. The percentage offered for this type of bonus may vary between sportsbooks, typically ranging from 8% to 12%. For example, MyBookie offers a 7% rebate bonus on horse race betting.
- No Deposit Bonus – A No Deposit Bonus is a type of bonus that is offered to players upon registering for an account, without the requirement of making a deposit. Although typically small in amount (ranging from $20-$50), it can serve as a useful starting point for players to initiate their relationship with a new online sportsbook account.
- Risk-Free / Free Bet – By offering a risk-free betting option, this bonus enables players to place a wager without the fear of losing the entire bet amount. Should the bet prove unsuccessful, players will receive a refund of the wagered amount in the form of site credit.
- Deposit Bonus – A deposit bonus is a promotional incentive that is available to players when they make their first deposit, and is typically a percentage match of the deposit amount up to a specified limit. For example, MyBookie offers a 50% deposit match of up to $1,000, which means that players would need to deposit $2,000 to receive the full $1,000 bonus. Usually, a wagering requirement of 10x must be met before the bonus funds can be withdrawn.
- Reload Bonus – A reload bonus is a promotional offer available to players who make additional deposits, and is often a percentage match of the deposit up to a certain limit. For instance, MyBookie provides a 25% match of up to $500, with a 5x wagering requirement. This means that players who deposit the maximum amount of $2,000 will receive an additional $500 in bonus funds, subject to meeting the wagering requirements.
Top Offshore Bookmakers FAQ
Who oversees offshore sites?
The regulatory authorities overseeing the top offshore sports betting sites vary depending on the jurisdiction and location of the site. However, some common regulatory bodies include the Malta Gaming Authority, the United Kingdom Gambling Commission, and the Gibraltar Betting and Gaming Association. It’s important to note that some offshore sports betting sites may not be licensed or regulated by any official authority, and may operate illegally in certain jurisdictions.
The Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority is another regulatory body that oversees and licenses many offshore sports betting sites. Curacao is a popular jurisdiction for online gambling operators due to its relatively low licensing fees and lax regulatory requirements. However, it’s worth noting that the Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority is not regarded as a particularly stringent regulatory body compared to others such as the Malta Gaming Authority or the United Kingdom Gambling Commission.
What is the number of offshore online sports betting sites?
There are many, many online sports betting sites out there. While some are US-based, the vast majority of the most popular online sites are offshore bookmakers. The most popular offshore sites tend to come from the UK, while many other popular platforms have their head offices in Malta, India, New Zealand, and South Africa. Online betting is truly a global platform.
Is it necessary to pay taxes on offshore sports betting?
Although offshore sportsbooks may not be under the jurisdiction of the United States, it’s important to note that you are still responsible for reporting your gambling winnings and paying taxes on them. All income is subject to taxation, including any money earned through online sports betting platforms. As such, it’s essential to declare any winnings on your tax returns, regardless of where the sportsbook is located.
What are the indicators of a reliable offshore sportsbook?
In order to ensure a safe and enjoyable sports betting experience, it is important to carefully consider various factors and conduct thorough research before choosing a website to gamble on. While we have provided information on three reputable sportsbooks, it is worth noting that not every website on the internet can be trusted.
One way to gauge the reliability of a sportsbook is to seek out reviews or comments from other users who have previously gambled on the site. This can provide valuable insight into the quality of the site’s services, customer support, and payout processes. Such information can often be found on the sportsbook’s own website, or through third-party reviews and blog posts.
Finding a trustworthy offshore sportsbook can be a complex process, but there are a number of established sites that have developed a strong reputation over time. These sites tend to have a large and loyal customer base, as well as diverse payment options to accommodate a range of users.
By taking the time to conduct careful research and consider various factors, you can help ensure that your sports betting experience is both enjoyable and secure. It is always worth exercising caution and using good judgement when choosing a sportsbook to gamble on.