The Top Hilarious NFL Team Names: From the Brooklyn Dodgers to the Oorang Indians
The NFL has a long and storied history, and over the years, the league has seen some truly unique team names. From the Brooklyn Dodgers to the Oorang Indians, here are some of the funniest team names in NFL history.
- Brooklyn Dodgers: Yes, you read that right. Before they moved to Los Angeles and became the Dodgers of Major League Baseball fame, the team was actually known as the Brooklyn Dodgers football team from 1930-1943.
- Staten Island Stapletons: This team from New York had a short-lived stint in the NFL from 1929-1932, but their name lives on in infamy.
- Oorang Indians: The Oorang Indians were a team that played in the NFL for just one season, in 1922. The team was named after the Oorang Dog Kennels in Ohio, which was run by the team’s owner. To add to the strangeness, the team was made up entirely of Native American players, who would perform tribal dances before games.
- Boston Yanks: The Boston Yanks played in the NFL from 1944-1948, and their name is believed to have come from the fact that many of the team’s players were former members of the military.
- Dallas Texans: The Dallas Texans played in the NFL for just one season in 1952 before moving to Baltimore and becoming the Colts. But the Texans left their mark on history, thanks in part to their bright blue and gold uniforms that made them look like human highlighters.
While these team names may seem odd by today’s standards, they all have a unique place in NFL history. And who knows, maybe someday we’ll look back on the current crop of team names and wonder what we were thinking. One thing’s for sure, though – the NFL will never be short on quirky and entertaining team names.