You have already decided that you will join the adventure of "online betting" and now…
Fun World Cup Facts – Were Indians really disqualified for wanting to play barefoot?
FIFA World Cup 2018 is no doubt the world’s most popular and viewed sporting event this year, maybe even of all time. Soccer fans know that World Cup takes place in every 4 years to fight it out and crown the world champion. World Cup is running at the moment and we have already seen many thrilling matches. Here are some fun World Cup facts from our editors.
- Almost half the world’s population tuned in for the previous World Cup. That’s over 3 billion people.
- There have been 20 World Cups so far and Brazil has won 5 times.
- Germany and Italy have four titles each.
In 2002 World Cup was held in two different countries – Japan and South Korea. That was first time ever.
- 2018 World Cup is first time ever when Russia is hosting.
- Roger Milla was the oldest scorer ever (aged 42), when he scored a goal vs Russia playing for Cameroon in 1994.
- That’s a good one – allegedly India withdrew itself from the 1950 World Cup tournament because officials didn’t allow them to play barefoot. So when answering the question in the title – no, they weren’t disqualified! LA Times did some research some years ago and came to conclusion that this rumor was false.
- In 1966 World Cup trophy went missing for a week when it was stolen right before the tournament.
- Russian’s Oleg Salenko has scored most goals in a match in a World Cup game – five goals.
- World Cup winner’s country will have a baby boom nine months after the tournament.